What do you know about GRS and RCS? Now this article list 8 questions to help you fully understand GRS & RCS certification.
1. What is the current market recognition of GRS / RCS certification? Which enterprises can apply for certification?
GRS certification has gradually become the future trend of enterprises and is highly praised by mainstream brands. Many well-known brands / retailers promise to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 45% by 2030. The use of recycled materials is regarded as one of the important solutions to achieve emission reduction. GRS certification covers recycled fiber, recycled plastic, recycled metal and derived industries such as textile industry, metal industry, electronic and electrical industry, light industry, etc. GRS certification has gradually become the future trend of enterprises and is highly praised by mainstream brands. Many well-known brands / retailers promise to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 45% by 2030. The use of recycled materials is regarded as one of the important solutions to achieve emission reduction. GRS certification covers recycled fiber, recycled plastic, recycled metal and derived industries such as textile industry, metal industry, electronic and electrical industry, light industry, etc.
RCS is only required for recycled components. Enterprises whose recycled components exceed 5% can apply for RCS certification.
2. What are the main contents of GRS certification?
– Recycled materials and supply chain requirements: Declared recycled materials shall follow a complete and verified chain of custody from input to final product.
– Social responsibility requirements: Workers employed by enterprises are protected by strong social responsibility policies. Having implemented SA8000 certification, iso45001 certification, or being required by the buyer to pass BSCI, smeta, etc., as well as the brand’s own supply chain social responsibility audit, it is easier to meet the requirements of social responsibility.
– Environmental requirements: The enterprise shall have a high degree of environmental awareness, and in all cases, the most stringent national and / or local regulations or GRS requirements shall apply.
– Chemical requirements: The chemicals used to produce GRS products will not cause unnecessary harm to the environment or workers. That is, substances restricted by reach and zdhc regulations are not used, and chemicals in hazard code or risk term classification (GRS standard table a) are not used.
3. What is the GRS traceability principle?
If the company wants to apply for GRS certification, the upstream suppliers of recycled raw materials should also have GRS certification. During the GRS certification of the company, their suppliers should provide GRS Certificate (required) and transaction certificate (applicable).
The supplier of recycled materials at the source of the supply chain shall provide the recycled material supplier agreement and the recycled material declaration form, and conduct on-site or remote audit if necessary.
4. What is the certification process?
Step 1. Apply
Step 2. Review of application form and application materials
Step 3. Contract review
Step 4. Schedule payment
Step 5. On site audit
Step 6. Non conformance improvement closing (when necessary)
Step 7. Review report review & certification decision
5. How long is the certification period?
Generally, the certification cycle depends on the system establishment and audit preparation of the enterprise. If there are no nonconformities in the audit, the certification decision can be made within 2 weeks after the on-site audit; If there are non conformities, it depends on the improvement progress of the enterprise. However, according to the requirements of the standard, the certification authority must make a certification decision within 60 calendar days after the on-site audit.
6. How is the certification result issued?
The certification certificate is issued after the certification. The relevant terms are explained as follows:
– SC scope certificate: The certification certificate obtained after the recycled recycling products applied by the customer are evaluated by the certification company to meet the GRS standard requirements. It is usually valid for one year and cannot be extended.
– Transaction certificate (TC): Issued by the certification authority, it indicates that a certain batch of goods is produced according to GRS standards. The raw materials and final products of this batch of goods comply with GRS standards, and a chain of custody system has been established. Ensure that the certified product contains the required declaration materials.
7. What should be paid attention to in TC application?
(1) The certification authority issuing TC must be the certification authority issuing SC.
(2) TC can only be issued for products traded after the issuance date of SC certificate.
(3) The products applied for TC must be included in SC, otherwise, it is necessary to apply for product expansion first, including product category, product description, composition and proportion.
(4) TC must be applied for within 6 months from the date of shipment, and will not be accepted after the deadline.
(5) For products delivered within the validity period of SC, TC application shall be submitted within one month from the expiration date of the certificate, and will not be accepted after the expiration date.
(6) One TC can also include multiple batches of goods, which shall meet the following conditions:
– The application shall be agreed by the seller, the seller’s certification authority and the buyer.
– All goods must be from the same seller and shipped from the same place.
– May include different receiving locations of the same buyer.
– TC can include up to 100 shipment batches.
8. If the enterprise changes the certification authority, which certification authority issues the TC during the transition period?
When renewing the certificate, the enterprise can independently choose whether to change the certification authority. In order to solve the problem of how to issue TC during the transition period, textile exchange has formulated the following rules and guidelines:
– If the enterprise submits a complete and accurate TC application within 30 days after the expiration of the SC, and the goods applying for TC are delivered before the expiration of the SC, as the last certification authority, it shall continue to issue t for the enterprise;
– If the enterprise submits a complete and accurate TC application within 90 days after the expiration of the SC, and the goods applying for TC are shipped before the expiration of the SC, as the last certification authority, it can issue TC for the enterprise at its discretion;
– The certificate renewal certification authority shall not issue TC for the goods shipped by the enterprise within the validity period of the previous SC;
– If the enterprise delivers goods before the issuing date of the certificate renewal certification authority SC, and is in the certification window of two certificates, the certificate renewal certification authority shall not issue TC for this batch of goods