Product audits can identify discrepancies with customer requirements and directly determine the impact of this process. Through the identified deviations, the process causing the deviation can be focused on the investigation, analysis, and corrective action. So what exactly is a product audit, what is its role in quality inspection, and how can you effectively perform a product audit? In this article, we will bring you a detailed explanation.
What is Product Audit？
Product Audit is the activity of independently checking and evaluating the quality of product suitability from the user’s point of view in order to obtain information about the quality of the product. It is the activity of independently checking and evaluating the quality of product applicability from the standpoint of users. Product audit is a form of product verification, but it is different from the final inspection of finished products or Re-inspection of qualified products.
Product Audit Purpose
One of the direct purposes of product audit is to verify, through an objective audit of the product, whether the product whether all the requirements are met, in order to obtain the quality information of the products shipped, and thus determine the level of product quality and its trend. Product quality level and its change trend. The product audit evaluates the quality of the product according to the average score of product quality failures (quality level). Product quality and its trend of change. Product auditing is not just an activity to determine whether a product passes or fails.
Product Audit Benefits
- To be able to grasp the level of product quality and quality dynamics in a timely manner, to study and anticipate its development trend.
- To audit the problems revealed about the design, process, standards and inspection and many other aspects, timely feedback information in order to take effective measures to improve and enhance product quality.
- Through the investigation and study of quality defects, analyze and compare with similar products at home and abroad, target competitive products, carry out quality improvement, and improve the share of the domestic and foreign markets of the products.
- Study the interrelationship between the quality of ex-factory products and services for users, through quality improvement, reduce the loss of external failures of products, save service costs, and improve the reputation of the enterprise’s product quality.
- To study the relationship between product quality level and quality cost, and explore the appropriate quality level.
Performers Of Product Audits
Product auditing is an independent evaluation activity that is performed by qualified and manager internal auditors authorized by the manager. Product auditors must be independent of the product development department and product inspection department. Product audits are usually organized by the Quality Assurance (QA) department. Product audits are usually conducted by QA auditors.
Product Audit Checklist & Guidelines
Product audits are based on the “×× Product Audit Rating Guideline”, product standards/technical specifications specifications. VDA6.5 “Product Audit” standard.
The document is used to audit the product and assess its compliance with specifications. The document is designed for small and medium-sized businesses since, in our opinion, long, too complicated paperwork are unnecessary for you.
Product Audit Method
Product audits rely primarily on actual measurement data (laboratory tests and sensory evaluations) of products or quantitative methods for evaluation, interviews and questions are not the typical way of product audits.
The Role Of Product Audits
(1) Compare the product quality level of current and past production through product audit, and analyze the product quality levelP and development trend.
(2) Early detection of unqualified products to avoid delivery of unqualified products to customers.
(3) Timely detection of weaknesses in the quality system and problems in the quality of work (operation) of the personnel concerned, so that corrective and preventive measures can be taken.
(4) through the product audit, the quality of the work of quality inspection personnel to evaluate the quality.
Product Audit Scope (Focus)
- The focus of the product audit is the finished product, but can also include outsourced parts, outsourced parts, self-made parts parts.
- the quality of finished products or parts with weak links.
- the final inspection is difficult or easy to miss the inspection of finished products or parts.
- finished products or parts with unclear or problematic management and technical interfaces.
- If the product failure can cause consequences or serious impact of finished products or components.
- technology-intensive, high performance requirements, complex manufacturing processes, strict quality requirements of finished products or parts.
- the use of users reflect the quality of more problems in the product.
- the new development of key products.
Timing Of Product Audits
When the product audit, you can obtain a sub-sample of the product in the market to check its applicability and specification compliance. This can also be done immediately after factory inspections and tests. Considering the audit effect and economic principles, product audits can be conducted at the “after packaging but before shipping to the site” stage. This phase is conducted.
Content Of Product Audit
- Checking the testing conditions of product quality
The calibration of gauges and instruments for testing products is checked to ensure the audit test Correctness. Check whether the test environment meets the requirements. Check the skills and qualifications of testers. Qualification.
2. Check the quality characteristics of the product – functional audit
● The main performance indicators of the product.
● Safety of the product.
● Life and reliability of the product.
● the serviceability of the product.
● the technical status of the product.
● the interface characteristics of the product
● The integrity of the product package, etc.
3. Check the quality of product appearance
● Whether the label or mark of the product is wrong or blurred.
● The appearance of the product is free from bruises and scratches.
● Whether the protection of the product meets the requirements, etc.
4. Check the quality of the product packaging
● Whether the logo and certificate of conformity on the box meet the requirements.
● Whether the products packed are consistent with the packing list, and whether there are any mistakes or omissions.
● Whether the packaging is consistent with the technical standards and process documents, etc.
Product Audit Procedure & Plan Format
Product auditing is also a PDCA cycle process that includes planning, support, operation, analysis and improvement.
- Planning for product audits, including specifying product audit plans, preparing product audit inspection standards, etc.
- Qualified product auditors
- Appropriate measurement and test equipment
- Computer systems
- Product audit plan
- Product audit specifications
- Drawings technical documentation
- Control Plans
- Internal Non-conformance Status
- Customer Feedback
- Service Feedback
- Conduct product sampling as planned
- Perform inspection and/or testing
- Work according to specifications
- Dimensional inspection (by customer or organization drawing dimensions, especially important dimensions)
- Visual inspection
- Gauge measurement
- Physical property tests (e.g. tensile strength, strength)
- Chemical property verification (e.g. material, composition)
- Record the results of the inspection and/or test, including any non-conformance
- Control of non-conforming products
- Product audit report
- Corrective action and validation (if required)
6. Analysis and improvement
- Audit result analysis
- Corrective action and validation
- Product Audit Report
Product quality audit is a separate inspection and evaluation of the quality of the final product, to determine the conformity and applicability of product quality, and its evaluation criteria are based on applicability, that is, from the user’s point of view to check and evaluate the quality of the product. Therefore, the effective implementation of product audits can bring many advantages to the company.