ASTM International sets standards for materials, products, systems and services. ASTM F2413 covers performance requirements for protective footwear, specifying the minimum requirements for impact resistance, compression resistance, metatarsal protection, and other safety features.
What is ASTM F2413-11?
ASTM F2413-11 refers to the 2011 version of the ASTM standard specification for performance requirements of protective safety toe cap footwear. It outlines the minimum design, performance, testing and classification requirements for footwear intended to provide protection against workplace hazards that can cause injury.
Some key aspects of ASTM F2413-11 include:
- – It prescribes fit, function and performance criteria for protective footwear.
- – Footwear must meet impact and compression resistance requirements for the toe area.
- – It includes standards for metatarsal protection, conductive properties, electric shock resistance, static dissipation, puncture resistance and chainsaw cut resistance.
- – Safety features are denoted on labels with codes like “I/75” for 75lb impact resistance or “PR” for puncture resistance.
What is ASTM F2413-18?
ASTM F2413-18 is the most updated version of the standard, released in 2018. It contains revised requirements and guidance for performance, testing and classification of protective safety footwear.
Some notable changes from F2413-11 include:
- – The performance labels are now required to be enclosed in a rectangular border for clearer visibility.
- – Line 2 of the label includes metatarsal protection specification along with impact/compression resistance.
- – Impact resistance no longer includes numerals – it simply denotes as “I”, meaning the highest 75lb rating is required.
- – The standard was reorganized and consolidated with additional explanatory details.
Key Differences Between ASTM F2413-11 and F2413-18
- – Date of Publication: F2413-11 was published in 2011, while F2413-18 is the revised version from 2018.
- – Markings Format: F2413-18 requires the performance markings to be enclosed in a rectangular border.
- – Label format – F2413-18 label must be in a border for improved clarity compared to F2413-11.
- – Impact/Compression Values: F2413-11 lists the actual impact resistance (75 foot-pounds) and compression values (2500 pounds). F2413-18 just lists “I” for impact and “C” for compression, without the numerical ratings.
- – International Principles: F2413-18 adds more details on international standardization principles, making it more aligned with global standards.
- – Performance Requirements: The actual minimum performance criteria are technically the same between the two versions. The scope and purpose remain unchanged.
ASTM F2413-18 is an updated version of the standard that addresses gaps and inconsistencies in ASTM F2413-11. The revisions in ASTM F2413-18 include improved labeling, metatarsal protection requirements, conductive and electrical hazard protection requirements, modified impact resistance test method, and clarification of labeling requirements. While both cover protective footwear standards, ASTM F2413-18 provides updated test methods, classifications and clearer marking specifications compared to the previous F2413-11 version. These updates ensure that safety footwear provides enhanced protection and aligns with the latest industry practices and technologies. Ensuring compliance with the latest F2413-18 standard is recommended.