Home Forums CNC Technology CNCing from Web Interface – Octoprint or CNCjs?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Wang Betty
    Participant

Does anyone have experience using their CNC from a web interface? Ideally I’d like to hook a raspberry pi up to my CNC in order to control it remotely in the same way that I do with my 3d printer using Octoprint.

Wu Bonnie
    Participant

I’ve used both. Octoprint with Marlin and CNC.js with grbl.

CNC.js is great. I love it. I’m not sure if any of the features are missing for Marlin, but it’s much more focused on CNC. It has work offsets, understands the gcode is for cutting, not just travel moves. It has a great visualization. Yeah, try it out, let us know how you like it. It was really the reason I switched to grbl, so maybe it’s time for me to switch back.

Chen Leo
    Participant

I’m comfortable with setting up the pi and the installation guides for both OctoPrint and CNCjs are well detailed. I was more concerned with needing to do anything to hook the MiniRambo into the pi. If it’s just USB A-to-B, then I should be set.

I’ll probably create a step-by-step guide for using the MPCNC with CNCjs, if successful.

Yu knightone
    Participant

I had some time on a friend’s CNC mill years ago and AFAIK it didn’t have any kind of feedback. I’d think the presence of feedback or not would be the difference between a closed loop and open loop system but they’d both be properly labeled CNC machines. After all, what’s spinning (controlling) the dials other than a computer? Sounds like a pair of ‘C’s to me.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.