Home Forums CNC Technology How would you clean this tool crib? Rust + dust

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Bean 86
    Participant

Working at a new job as a fresh grad in a fabrication department that has been kind of neglected and want to start improvements in our milling area. Our tool area hasn’t been maintained and a lot of the holders have collected dust and rust on them from the welding we do nearby. How would you go about cleaning the ones in the first photo? I started out with a wire brush/wheel and my progress made so far is in the 2nd photo but want to maintain this cleanliness and ensure I’m cleaning them properly. Tips? If it helps, maybe I can send a photo of the current cabinet setup for tips on dust and rust proofing it. Thanks.

Noah james

Muriatic Acid tank dip.

Or let it sit in a container of Diesel fuel for a few days lol. That’s the old school way.

Amelia doo
    Participant

It’s the underside (spindle taper) that really matters. If they aren’t perfect I probably wouldn’t run them, it’ll ruin the machines spindle.

Amelia doo
    Participant

I put the very rusty parts in the evaporust for a couple hours then scotchbrite the surfaces. If something is being stubborn wire brush. Once the bulk is off I have another plastic bin that I fill with more evaporust and submerge it in the ultrasonic heat it all up to 45c. The ultrasonic waves go right through the plastic and into the the bin with the evaporust. Let it run for 30 min. take it out blow it off. At that point its pretty dang clean. If its something like a floating tap holder I’ll oil the moving parts otherwise just wipe off and blow dry. I was concerned about rust coming back quickly but I have a piece of steel that I have been “testing” for about 9 months sitting in the shop and it has yet for rust to come back.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.