Home Forums CNC Technology For novices, what is the most user-friendly design program for Onefinity?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Wang Polly
    Participant

A couple of things I’d want to know before I get started with CNC.
    Is it worth it? (It appears difficult, but I’d want to learn it anyhow)
    For novices, what is the most user-friendly design program for Onefinity? Currently, I am making spherical cribbage boards, and drilling 120+ holes by hand is tedious and tedious. There are a few folks who have suggested that I acquire a CNC and let it do the work.
    Is it possible to attend online courses/classes?

Thank you in advance for your consideration.

Wu Yuki
    Participant

1 – it’s a question that only you are qualified to answer. If you want to automate your process and have the necessary cash (=$$) as well as the time to devote to learning, it seems to be a worthwhile investment. While you are engaged in anything more productive, the machine may batch outboards for you.

2 – I’d suggest that this is a question of personal taste. Easel or Carbide Create will get you up and running with the least amount of trouble for absolute ease of usage. It is inevitable that you will outgrow their talents over time. However, you do not need to be familiar with climb vs conventional milling, step over, or a slew of other technical terms in order to get started. For the most part, any hobbyist-grade equipment will be compatible with the default settings.

Joey Chen
    Participant

I became interested in CNC around a year and a half ago and discovered a short course at my local Makerspace. I had developed a project and was able to utilize their commercial 4×8′ machine to complete it.

I was fascinated and bought a smaller home machine to continue learning and making stuff on.

I would tell anybody that 90% of the work is done in the CAD design and modeling software before you ever touch the machine. The last 10% is bits/endmills, feeds and speeds, and other trade secrets. But 90 percent of it is CAD. There are easy programs for basic tasks (like drilling holes), but to get the most out of a CNC, you need to be proficient in CAD, which takes time to master (and aggravation – these packages are hard).

Achieving success is highly satisfying. Complex and detailed patterns and precise work are now possible with this fantastic tool. On the route to becoming comfortable and productive, you’ll break a lot of things and toss away a lot of projects and stock. It’s a lot like beginning anything.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.